What this policy covers
IUCN is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected, and we want you to be confident that any personal information you provide is safe and secure with us, and to understand how we use it to offer you a better experience.
- The personal information we collect.
- How and why we collect and use your personal information.
- Why we process your personal information.
- The use of children's information.
- Sharing your information with other parties.
- Third-party links.
- How can you alter your permissions.
- Your information rights: the rights and choices you have when it comes to your personal information.
- Keeping your personal information secure: the steps we take to ensure your information is kept secure and confidential.
- How long do we keep your personal information?
- How to contact us.
Personal information we collect
- When you register on The IUCN Red List website for an account, we ask you to provide information such as your email, your name, and sometimes your institution and country.
- When you provide information through the feedback form, we ask you for your email and name.
- When you wish to donate to The IUCN Red List, we ask you to provide information relating to that payment, and this is dealt with by a secure third-party site.
- When you want to use the Red List API, we ask for your email, name, and institution.
- When you visit the Red List website, we may collect information about your online browsing behaviour and any devices you have used to access the site.
How and why we collect and use your personal information
1. Registering as a user
The personal information provided when registering as a user gives us a better profile of our user community and some idea of how The IUCN Red List data are being used. We need your email so that when a data export is completed, we can contact you and let you know.
2. Feedback form
We need your email on the feedback form so that we can reply to you if needed.
If you provide us with your institution information, it helps us understand the different types of users of the Red List, and subsequently to better improve how we serve our users.
3. Donating to The IUCN Red List
When you make a donation to The IUCN Red List, we collect information about you to enable the donation to happen, and also your email so we can contact you to let you know about the transaction status. The payment is handled securely by a third-party. If you want to know more about the third-party, please contact us, as per below.
After a transaction, your personal details will not be stored on our servers.
4. The Red List API
5. Analytics for The IUCN Red List website
We use Google Analytics to track how our website is being used. It enables us to get an idea of usage of the Red List website, and where our users come from and how the website is being used. This is important for us so that we can make appropriate changes to the website to better suit our users. We may share this information with the Red List Partners.
You can opt out of Google Analytics tracking by following the guidance provided by Google here.
Why we process your personal information
We will only collect and use your personal information (as per the sections above), in accordance with data protection laws - and as such, our grounds for processing your personal information are as follows:
- Consent - where necessary, we will only collect information and process that information if you have consented for us to do so. For example, we may have newsletters that you decide to subscribe to.
- Legitimate interests - we may use and process some of your personal information where we have sensible and legitimate grounds for doing so. Under European privacy laws there is a concept of "legitimate interests" as a justification for processing your personal information. Our legitimate interests for processing your personal information are:
- To enable you to access a section of the website i.e. saved searches and downloads.
- To communicate with you, when certain actions you initiated have reached a certain stage.
- To improve the website - we maybe use your usage information to make the website better.
You have the right to object to our use of your personal information (according to the new EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) regulations) for these legitimate interests, including a right to object to profiling.
Use of children’s personal information
We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under the age of 16. If you are aged under 16 please get your parent or guardian's permission before you provide any personal information to us.
Sharing your information with other parties
The IUCN Red List is part of IUCN, and therefore we might share some information about how the Red List is used, and who our users are to the wider IUCN.
We might also share some information about our users with the Red List Partners occasionally. Red List Partners contribute to The IUCN Red List, and this would help them understand better where and how their contribution is being used.
Our website includes links to third-party sites, tools and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third-parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party sites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
How can you alter your permissions?
Your privacy is of great importance to us. If you would like to change how we deal with your personal information, or want us to remove your details from The IUCN Red List website, please send us an email to email@example.com.
Your information rights
Under the new EU GDPR regulations, you have the following rights:
- Right to correct: the right to have your personal information rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erase: the right to request that we delete or remove your personal information from our systems.
- Right to restrict our use of your information: the right to 'block' us from using your personal information or limit the way in which we can use it.
- Right to data portability: the right to request that we move, copy or transfer your personal information.
- Right to object: the right to object to our use of your personal information including where we use it for our legitimate interests, or where we use your personal information to carry out profiling to inform our market research and user demographics. If you raise an objection we will stop processing your personal information unless very exceptional circumstances apply, in which case we will let you know why we're continuing to process your personal information.
Using cookies, our website may track the pages you visit and record other user data such as how long you spend on each page. We can then view a summary that aggregates the data from all of our visitors (but not your individual behaviour) using Google Analytics.
You can choose to disable any cookies already stored on your computer. Please be aware that disabling cookies may stop our website from functioning properly.
Keeping your personal information secure
Keeping information about you secure is very important to us, which is why we store and process your personal information in accordance with the high standards required under data protection legislation. From time to time, and for operational reasons the personal information we collect from you may be transferred to and stored in countries outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA"). However, when we appoint our service providers to help us provide services to you (which may include some based in the USA), we take care to ensure that they have appropriate security measures in place.
We do our best to keep the information you disclose to us secure. However, we cannot guarantee its security. By using our website you accept the inherent risks of providing information online and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security.
How long do we keep your personal information?
How to contact us
Our Data Protection Office is IUCN’s data protection officer.
If you have any queries relating to our use of your personal information or any other related questions pertaining to this policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective as of 25th May 2018